Monday, July 12, 2010

"You have to be taught to hate"

Such a string of quotes that show the ultimate brainwashing of children... and Aibileen's struggle against it. This must be why she leaves the kids by age 9 every time. Makes me think about how I am raising my kids and opportunities to teach them.

"I want to yell so loud that Baby Girl can hear me that dirty ain't a color, disease ain't the Negro side a town" (96).
"...what I really want to do is put my hands up over her ears so she can't hear this talk. And worse, hear me agreeing" (185).

And worse, hear the agreement. This also makes me think about teaching the strength to stand up for what is right. I know that I haven't always spoken out against racist, etc. statements when I have heard them. My silence could be just as deafening as Aibileen's agreement... hmmm...

2 comments:

  1. Children are so open to ideas, and we do a good job when they are little helping them understand what is right and wrong. And then they go to school and begin to notice others around them. Being the sponges they are they soak all of that in also. As I am experiencing the "Summer of the 9 year old Boy" I'm thinking 9 is when they feel "brave" enough to begin to voice the things they have heard. That becomes another excellent learning opportunity, how you handle it then will help cement their personal beliefs (not the ones they parrot when you are around but the ones they truly believe and show in their actions).

    Could I be like Aibileen and leave by the time they turn 9?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i worry that i will struggle with that--with being silent as they get older. balance is hard and the thought of balancing my influence and their freedom freaks me out a bit. jane, your quote, "My silence could be just as deafening as Aibileen's agreement... hmmm..." really hit home for me. when i stay quiet (even now), my boys know nothing else. DR, i like how you speak of learning opportunities--for sure they are "reading" us all the time--what we say or don't say, how we react or don't react.

    good deep thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete